Thursday, February 28, 2008

Fat Cow on a Little Moon

As I stare up into the crisp winter night it hits me that perhaps those little specks up there are not what they really seem. I mean what if in reality the cow jumped over the moon and got stuck? Where would his cow patties go? This 'universal' question brings me to this: who made up nursery rhymes and in all seriousness who really understands the jabberwock that comes out of their kid's mouths? I have seen, on many occasions, bilingual mothers. The child opens their mouth and out gushes a torrent of flibber-de-flabber-jabber, then the Mom looks at them as though they have just said something which is completely discernable, and in the attitude of carrying on a 'normal' conversation, they answer back! I am worried by this for at least two reasons. First of all I am now a mom and what if I can't hack it when it comes to jabberwock? Will my child's jabberwock never attain a discernable pattern of speech? And so I listen and try to perfect this strange tongue. But it is not so easy. There is also the body language of this foreign child culture that I must also find a way to emulate! Secondly, I wonder if perhaps we, as a culture, are stunting the growth of our underaged-still-developing wee tykes when do not allow this period of random goggling. Just imagine, if I would have been allowed more linguistic freedom to banter on unintelligibly, then I might eventually have come up with something brilliant like Einstein or Benjamin Franklin...

1 comment:

JElsie said...

Erynne, welcome to the blog world. Found you via Johanna's blog... also a surprise she jumped on the wagon. :)

I love your writing, and I miss it so! If you don't mind... I'm adding you to my list of blogging friends on my own blog. Yay, now I can keep up with you and your adventures.

If you're bored, stop by my blog sometime... I have multiple pages. One is a community recipe exchange, but it's not really getting off the ground well. Another is a virtual quote wall, and then I have my photos (yay), and of course the main page. Yes yes, a nerd at heart. I can't help myself. :)

Hugs all around! Hope this finds you well!